Tracks - Stonehaven Pass
|Track Type||3||Unmarked track.|
|Track Condition||3||OK, some work needed.|
|Length||600m (1km from car park & return)|
|Vertical||35m (60 from car park)|
Stonehaven Pass is a little known and unmarked track which is well worth a look. It was created by Mulheron, Ranger for the Wentworth Falls Reserve Trust, in the 1900s.
- Den Fenella track, Wentworth Falls
- Princes Rock Track, Wentworth Falls
The track starts on the Den Fennella track and ends on the Princes Rock track at Wentworth Falls. It is a short walk only needing about 30min to complete. The first section of track up until the fourth lookout (Murphy's Spiral Lookout) is in good condition even though it is not maintained. Great views can be had from each of the lookouts: Cashman's (561 651), Bill Wilson's (562 651), Rose's (which is easy to miss the track to, turn right a little after leaving Bill Wilson's taking you down under it) and Murphy's Spiral (562 651). This last is named for the spiral stairs that take you to one of the best lookout spots in the area.
Care must be taken at each of the lookout on this track as there is little or no protection from the railings.
After Murphy's spiral the track narrows and is more overgrown. There is a swampy section just after Wearne's lookout. Stepping blocks have been added to avoid most of the mud. The very last 20m which leads to the Princes Rock track has not been cleared and you will have a little scramble through some dead wood.
Bill Wilson’s lookout was named by local historian Jim Smith in 2011 in recognition of William (Bill) Page Wilson (1867-1926). Bill was a Wentworth Falls Reserve trustee (1867-1926), a member of Wentworth Falls Progress Association 1904 and Chairman Reserves Trust 1919.1 He was Licensee of the Wentworth Hotel (now the Grand View Hotel). He also owned land to the west of the hotel which he purchased in 1898 from Benjamin Backhouse. At that time he was a butcher in Lawson. His father Henry was licensee of Gardiners Inn (then called the Thistle). Saville Motors located near the Grand View was one of the first motor garages in the Blue Mountains and was also built by Bill’s family.2
Murphy's spiral lookout was also named by Jim Smith is named after Thomas Charles Murphy (1888-1967) a Wentworth Falls Reserve trustee in 1942. Lookout was previously named Spiral Lookout.3
Cashman's lookout was also named by Jim Smith 2011, after James Arthur Cashman (1880-1956) a Wentworth Falls Reserve trustee, Hon. Secretary National Trust 1918, Wentworth Falls Progress Association President 1920.4
Rose's lookout was also named by Jim Smith 2011, after Samuel Charles Rose (1864-1941) a Wentworth Falls Reserve trustee, headmaster of Wentworth Falls Publis (1912-1941), Wentworth Falls Progress Association President.5
1 Brian Fox, Michael Keats, John Fox, Blue Mountains Geographical Encyclopsedia, Keats Holdings Pty Ltd, 2018. p88
2 Blue Mountains Heritage Register Review, https://yoursay.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/22793/documents/46335
3 Brian Fox, Michael Keats, John Fox, Blue Mountains Geographical Encyclopsedia, Keats Holdings Pty Ltd, 2018. p371
4 Brian Fox, Michael Keats, John Fox, Blue Mountains Geographical Encyclopsedia, Keats Holdings Pty Ltd, 2018. p132
5 Brian Fox, Michael Keats, John Fox, Blue Mountains Geographical Encyclopsedia, Keats Holdings Pty Ltd, 2018. p433